pens or pins? that is the question...


What's one to do when the heart and hands enjoy words and fabric, the pattern of paragraphs and quilts to an equal enthusiasm? To solve my dilemma I'm writing the print that stirs me and sharing the journey of blending fabrics into quilts and wearables, the discovery of old--be it quilts or friends, and the pleasures of today. Come...have a visit with me.

Friday, August 12, 2011

WHAT DID YOU SAY?


WHAT did you say?

We laughed until our jaws hurt and tears flowed from our eyes. My daughter and I reminisced over comments strangers have said to us as we encountered them in strange places. Comments that seem acceptable, but in reverse...well, you decide.
Oh, the word stranger -- someone we have never met that strikes up a conversation, be it where ever.

1. "your hands are so-o full"
Setting - Daughter with three kids, ages four and under in Target. Her smile and great comeback,
"Sure are, you want to help?"

2. "why, you're a lefty?"
Setting - Signing the charge box at Walmarts. "What did he think, I purposely used the wrong hand?" Never do I remember commenting "why, you are a righty. (Lefties get it all the time).

3. "you can wear anything, you are so-o skinny."
Built like a pencil, my sister does look great. But has she ever looked around and said,
"My, my, you sure are fat." --think she might be taken into custody for slander and the worst of taste?

4. "I've never seen anyone do it "that way."
Hmm. Must be the wrong way. Cutting the cantaloupe stem down or horizontal? What do the experts say?

5. "your hair is so red or curly or ...." "you are so short...tall." What's one to say? Words fail me. "Yep,did it on purpose."

6. "Do you do stairs?" asked the young  25 year old clerk as I (twice-plus-her age) started up two flights in the local department store.
Proof in the "puddin." I just stepped with more enthusiasm!

7. "you're not going to believe the crowd I have up here," said the young highway patrolman as he stood at our car writing out the warning.
Setting - Five of us were en route to the mountains for a stitcher's get-away. Speeding, how did it happen? Regardless, we were clocked and the patrolman pulled us over. "Where you ladies going?"
"We're quilters," one said.
And from the back came the rug hooker's golden voice "and we're hookers too." He left our car, went back to check his computer and returned laughing. "WHAT did you say?"

Case resolved. Stay tuned for the next strange conversation.

Find a laugh in your day,

Best,

ALICE

a favorite scripture: "...he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed." Proverbs 11:25

a funny book: I REMEMBER NOTHING, Nora Ephron.Knopf Publishing. 2010

a great blog: http://workingwritersandbloggers.com/
  --great tips for writers and bloggers, multiple categories. book tours and interviews





1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you hookers made that patrolman's day. You brought a laugh to mine, too.

    Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete