pens or pins? that is the question...


What's one to do when the heart and hands enjoy words and fabric, the pattern of paragraphs and quilts to an equal enthusiasm? To solve my dilemma I'm writing the print that stirs me and sharing the journey of blending fabrics into quilts and wearables, the discovery of old--be it quilts or friends, and the pleasures of today. Come...have a visit with me.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

History FRIENDS...ah, the memories



I opened my email to a notice of the passing of a friend I've known for 30+ years. I immediately called his wife and renewed our friendship from years ago, putting the miles between us aside. Her husband's illness, her loss, was part of our conversation but equally valuable was the renewed laughter, memories of the good times in early marriage.

One of our favorite memories starts with a simple dinner invitation after meeting at church.  We were in our early thirties, she a mother of two little boys and I, not yet a mother. My husband and I decided to invite several families from our Sunday School class for dinner. I immediately reckoned with their children, as I knew little about young boys and girls. "Never mind," I thought. I'll make guest arrangement easy. I'll put six adults at the dining table and the little ones at my small kitchen table. All fit perfectly.The mom's were so pleased I had thought of a childhood table and I was pleased to manage an adult table in the style I loved to create. 

Next, came the menu plan. Back in the Texas 70's the menu was fairly predictable. My choices of brisket, potato salad, copper penny carrots, tossed salad and apple pie fit the mold. Cooking was easy--the brisket was an overnight slow cooker, the potato salad mixed little reds with onion, celery, hard-cooked eggs and real mayonnaise. And in case you have forgotten the copper penny carrots, they were steamed carrots marinated in spices and tomato soup. And Helen Corbitt's famous dutch apple pie. Yum! What memories and what fun. I laugh. We never thought of calories or nutrition; it was all about flavor. How good does it taste?

But back to the dinner party. I wanted everything to be just right. For me that meant place mats and cloth napkins that complimented my new Frankoma pottery. The table hosted a centerpiece of fresh flowers (from my flower garden) just the right height to talk over and maybe, small votive candles. I was happy; now friends were immersed in a happy evening. It couldn't get better.

After the first serving I had placed the food on the cabinet in the kitchen. As I noticed the guests plates near empty I went to the kitchen to get one dish at a time, to pass and replenish their plates. "Not a problem," I remember thinking. Each dish could pass as I went to get the next.

Veggies, salad and the brisket. The brisket? What did I do with it? I looked in the oven, on the range, across the cabinet.
"Don't worry," I heard a little voice say. "Your little schnauzer Oliver, sure did like the meat." The meat? "Yea, we thought he'd like it, so we set the plate on the floor. He ate it all!"

I looked at the dog's face--messy from edge to edge. Eek! What do I do? I put Oliver out to play (or recover) and walked back to the dining table. "Everyone ready for dessert?"

I never mentioned the failure for brisket to be passed. No one asked and apple pie was served! 

p.s. Years later, at one of the boy's wedding showers, I told "his" story. His mom had never known! What fun and memories!

Enjoy a memory,

Alice

a favorite scripture: "Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life." Proverbs 4:23

a favorite book: BEST FOOD WRITING 2010 by Holly Hughes.
I downloaded this on my Nook. It is such fun reading--short articles from assorted food magazines. I love the shortness. Just right for a read while getting gas or driving through the car wash.

a favorite blog: http://acreativedreamer.blogspot.com --amazing creativity--enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment