pens or pins? that is the question...


What's one to do when the heart and hands enjoy words and fabric, the pattern of paragraphs and quilts to an equal enthusiasm? To solve my dilemma I'm writing the print that stirs me and sharing the journey of blending fabrics into quilts and wearables, the discovery of old--be it quilts or friends, and the pleasures of today. Come...have a visit with me.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Preferences -1,2,3



     The first 30 minutes of today I spent outside. I joined George on the patio and sleepily watched him enjoy every breath of the  morning breeze.  I huddled to drink my first cup of coffee. It did not come easy. I was groggy, the breeze felt chilly and the dogs were slurping--loudly. I preferred to be inside in the comfort of my red wing back chair, adjusting my laziness to the morning movement--gradually.

Why? What makes us have preferences? Webster defines preference as "a greater liking." Perfect definition, don't you think? So, why do we prefer inside or out; chocolate or vanilla? With age (and wisdom-ha) I've discovered three reasons preferences are so much a part of life.
1. CHILDHOOD CONDITIONING--What exposures and opportunities did we experience at age 4, 10 or even 25? Did we like or dislike the person and situation that influenced the opportunity? Was an attitude of "it's okay-try it" prevalent or a household demeanor of "wait, don't try it, don't go too far?" speaking loudly as you developed your preference list?
2. ACCEPTANCE OF SELF --I call it our wiring. We are all predispositioned to difference palettes, different talents, even to the time we go to bed. It is the voice inside that speaks "I want more" or "never again," or "it works for me."
3. SECURITY --The depth of comfort we demand. Several years ago I had a bad fall and since, I am conscious that my security needs have intensified. The strength of assured peacefulness and safety defines preference in different doses for different folks.
--yes, in a nutshell, preference is a summation of  our personal identity.
Think about it. What do you prefer? For fun, listed below are four personal preferences:
1. Friends and family--oh my, how would we survive without these soul mates?This week friends and family were major players in the seven days. A neighborhood party and then, God bless her, Pat hosting a beautiful, and I say "beautiful" dinner. And in both cases--special blessings. The neighborhood party had a unique detail spin.  Charlette brought a box of goodies-- genealogy records, photos, etc. and shared stories about her great-great grandfather settling this area. Pat's party brought community together. George has known Pat and Phil since college days. I call them "history friends." Wow!









2. Beautiful, delicious food--think a picture says it all.

3. Household comforts--my favorite red wing back chair and the splurge--a past Christmas gift of a down sleeping pillow--Shhh....

4. A surround of books, paper and pins. The written word. I love to hold books and enjoy turning page after page written by a great writer. I love the laughter with my sister, my daughter or friend as we share "did you read?" or "let me share what I wrote..."
And your preferences? Every preference fulfilled is another spout of our bucket list. Analyze the peacefulness of your preferences. Or, forbid the lack of peacefulness when preferences don't prevail. As someone said, "make preferences happen...show up and vote"
So, this week I share the preference of a GREAT read:
FOR YOU MOM, FINALLY by Ruth Reichl. A short read by the well-known Gourmet Magazine editor about her mother, ..."an investigation of a mother I never really knew." I found this on a sale rack--I suspect you'll recall your mother/daughter relationship.
And daily, GOD'S WORD: "Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God above, who created all heaven's lights." James 1:17

Til then,

Alice







No comments:

Post a Comment