pens or pins? that is the question...


What's one to do when the heart and hands enjoy words and fabric, the pattern of paragraphs and quilts to an equal enthusiasm? To solve my dilemma I'm writing the print that stirs me and sharing the journey of blending fabrics into quilts and wearables, the discovery of old--be it quilts or friends, and the pleasures of today. Come...have a visit with me.

Saturday, October 2, 2010

MEMORIES--when did it happen?




MEMORIES??
 Think of the technology words that have come into our vocabulary within the last ten years--web, email, blog, surf, post...and on it goes. Do you remember your first computer? My original purchase was a big IBM. My father-in-law generiously gave me 1/2 the purchase price--a total whopping shared total of $3000! I raised the other half.

Out of the box and plugged into the circuit, the IBM computer was really just a fancy typewriter. Regardless,I loved its' ability to change fonts, correct paragraph alignment and spelling. I loved the connection to a printer and the school teaching mimeograph/ditto days fading into the background, to modern technology efficiency.

And now, fifteen years later, I'm still exploring the advances of computer possibilities.  Websites and surfing are taken for granted. I email notes instead of calling. And we all set up sites to sell our products, blog our thoughts and share family pictures. I love modern tech--isn't it a great way to go?

And this week--I've pushed my little netbook computer skills in the fast lane everyday. I've looked up weather forecasts, book writers, ordered on-line, read countless emails and blogs and worked on my book. BOOK?

Yes, it began with a simple plan-- a short story, a memoir about mom's cooking. I love to remember, especially the talents and personality of mom. So, I decided to record family stories about her cooking style, a la my post WWII childhood. I began reflecting on mom's classic menus and her cooking transition from a bride in the 40's to her senior days at the end of the 20th century. The nostalgia blew me away! I remembered mom's pot roast. Do you remember yours? I remembered mom's cream pie. And your moms'? I remembered birthday parties, Christmas holidays and mom's food gifts. And yours?

I couldn't record my memories fast enough and I knew I had to record my own cooking journey. The food saga continued and I wrote and wrote. Now, multiple pages later I have the beginnings of my book. I have a working title, chapter headings, a preface and chapters.  FUN!--the middle letters of M-E-M-O-R-Y.

To polish and expand my memoir forward to include  cooking in the first decade of the 21st century, I've googled  multiple food sites, looked at magazine food  ads and read old/new cookbooks. I've looked in strangers grocery carts and observed their intended purchases. (some of their "food" I don't know the content or the purchasing aisle--totally unfamiliar to me.?) Yesterday I stood in front of a mag rack and read every food title. Yes,  FOOD is still "in"; we still like to eat; we like to write about food and we like to share the bounty.

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you may be saying --"hey, wait a minute, I thought Ali hated cooking."  Ironically, you remember my post of last summer--I Hate to Cook?! Well, the distasteful part is the routine, not the creative journey or the part that recognizes the importance of food in connecting family and friends. Food is another word for bonding, comfort, language and  love. That is the play and fascination I find in my food journey of 60+ years--from jello to sashi; from a live chicken in mom's back yard to chicken nuggets in today's freezer. It is the daily cuisine, creating memories, one bite at a time.

The food journey has endless roads and detours. I recommend you explore yours. What was your first food disaster? Your biggest party? What is your comfort food? Do you detour to the chocolate aisle?--or the organic produce? (I look for dark chocolate every shopping trip!) Do you love or abhor hosting dinner parties? What laughter or soul talks do you remember--over dinner? I love you--readers. And oh, the food memories we share.

My book is in first draft. It's rollin' down memory lane. I'll keep you posted. And in this food journey I'm traveling I've found the "coolest" sites. I suspect you will enjoy googling these blogs and sites:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/
http://chocolateandzuchinni.com/
http://myburningkitchen.blogspot.com/

If you are considering writing your food memoirs check out the excellent book, Will Write for Food by Dianne Jacobs. Her new book is available on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles and web entries.

Speaking of food, keep me posted. What fabulous food have you discovered this week? I love to collect recipes!


Enjoy the week, my friend,

Alice

a favorite read: ALL of Ruth Reichl's books. Ruth is a food writer with a great collection of memories. I'm reading TENDER AT THE BONES.Her website is fun: http://www.ruthreichl.com/

a favorite scripture: This week I'm reading the Psalms.
Take time to grasp God's word: Psalms 106:1-5

Praise the Lord.
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;his love endures forever.
Who can proclaim the mighty acts of the Lord or fully declare
his praise?
Blessed are they who maintain justice,
who constantly do what is right,
Remember me oh Lord, when you show favor to your people,
come to my aid when you save them,
that I may enjoy the prosperity of your chosen ones,
that I may share in the joy of your nation
and join your inheritance in giving praise.

AND a cool sight with short stories, etc. ESPECIALLY written by women over 60www.persimmon.tree.org

1 comment:

  1. Your new project sounds delicious--and exciting! Your September sounds like mine: hit by gale force winds. I love these 2 news posts and I just finished making my very first Basil Pesto from a receipt I found at http://www.anoregoncottage.com and with Basil from my own garden. Hope to see you at our October writers' group. Thanks for reminding me to take some BEING time. Hugs. Liz

    ReplyDelete