pens or pins? that is the question...


What's one to do when the heart and hands enjoy words and fabric, the pattern of paragraphs and quilts to an equal enthusiasm? To solve my dilemma I'm writing the print that stirs me and sharing the journey of blending fabrics into quilts and wearables, the discovery of old--be it quilts or friends, and the pleasures of today. Come...have a visit with me.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Newness in the NEW YEAR



HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Aren't we amazed that the calendar has rolled over to the new numbers of 2011? I recall (in what seems like yesterday) conversations about the years "2000" and we all felt that window of time would come light years away. I guess the light years have traveled!-- because today we are starting the second decade of the years "2000."


I like fresh starts. The New Year is an opportunity to regroup, start again, try harder, set deadlines and goals with every intention of meeting them. Last night I asked George (hubby) "Do you make NY's resolutions?' He looked at me with dismay and said, "Sure, I make them with every daily list." Now, as I've observed his life pattern, I agree--he does "resolute" everyday.He's a list guy and every Monday, every Tuesday, etc. starts with a list.  If the task fell short the day before he places it at priority rating on the new day.


So, following his example, I want to make 2011 resolutions in the same pattern. If I fall short today, I'll put the goal on the next day's list and try again.


Try again fits so many hours of the daily walk. Last week I watched Kate, my 17 month grand-girl work to climb on and off an overstuffed chair. When she succeeded she was so proud and smiled "success" from ear to ear. In tumbles and lack of success she cried or rearranged her legs or reached her arms out for help. I thought, "hmmm, not much different than me." I cry (inside), rearrange or reach out for help. Is this a provision from God? I suspect it is--his way of providing answers to the daily problems, be they big or small.


Now, with the opportunity to anticipate 364 more days of 2011 I hope you'll reach for favorite books that help you reach your goals. Go for it--set your fresh start. Below are some of my favorite resolution books. These authors truly focus on priorities and in turn, aid my push to reach my goals--to be the best I can be in my walk with God, in my walk with family and friends and in my walk with the talents that I hold.


I highly recommend these reads to help you reach your "resolutes."

1) 31 DAYS OF PRAISE and 31 DAYS OF PRAYER by Ruth Myers, 1994 and 1997
Mulynomah Publishers, Inc. (check your Christian bookstore or used books on internet)  --a series of short devos to help focus the day.

2) FIRST THINGS FIRST by Stephen R. Covey, 1994
Simon and Schuster (check local and internet bookstores) --concrete specifics on organizing the day, the week, the year to reach goals

3) THE ARTISTS' WAY by Julia Cameron, 1992
Tarcher/Putman (multiple printings--check local and internet stores)
 --a weekly reminder to write, create and give yourself an artist date--with multiple how-to's --every artist, in every media, should review Julia Cameron's words of encouragement

4) THE ELEMENTS of STORY by Francis Flaherty, 2010
Harper (check local and internet stores)
--so many good ideas on "exciting" a story. Currently my favorite read. I can't put it down.

5) YOUR FAVORITE BOOK --be it God's word, a how-to, a fiction or non, a cookbook or raising children book -READING TIME is my wish for you. It is one of our richest blessings.

And a quote I love: 
            "Life is too short for drama and petty things,
         so...kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and
         forgive quickly."  ....unknown.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Enjoy a great week,

Alice

2 comments:

  1. Refreshing!!! You make new beginnings sound - well reachable!! Thanks for your always ready-joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alice,


    I’ve been following your blog and have noticed you write about being a little lost in life and your experiences. The reason I'm leaving you a comment is that I'm the intern for StageofLife.com, and I am looking for bloggers who might be interested in guest writing on our site. Could we feature you? We work with talented writers and bloggers to build a network of stories, crossing all stages of life, that will help make the world a better place, and I think our readers would gain a lot from your life perspective.

    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you if you are interested. My email is megan.colyer@stageoflife.com. Thanks!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete